Pages

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Newsletter Reflection 13 November 2011 - Don't judge a book by its cover



Good morning,

I've been thinking a lot these past couple of weeks about that old saying “you don't judge a book by its cover.” I've been thinking about it, because I've bought a new pain control device that's actually really helpful, and has even allowed me to reduce the amount of pain controlling drugs I take.

What's remarkable is that I've seen ads for this device for years, and dismissed it as “junk” because the ads looked like something incredibly dodgy. Despite the ads, however, the machine turns out to be a TENS machine, the same as my physiotherapist uses. It uses electrical currents to disrupt the pain messages from nerves to the brain. For me it works. I can have physiotherapy while sitting at my desk.

It reminds me of the story of Samuel going off to anoint a new king. He goes to Jesse's family and each of the sons come out in turn. Some look big and strong, and Samuel thinks they'd make impressive-looking kings, and God says no. Eventually, there's only one son left – the youngest, the kid who looks after the sheep. He's not big and strong. He's not expecting to inherit the family fortune. No-one's grooming him to be a success at anything more than watching the sheep. And God says – this is the one. Samuel can't see why, but he anoints the kid anyway. King David would be a legend, an example, and a reminder of glory, throughout the history of Israel.

Nobody but God saw what was inside the kid who looked after the sheep. Nobody but God saw who he could be.

Only God really knows the truth of any of us.

Grace and peace
Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment